Friday, March 16, 2012

Dedicated to Amie


Amie and me at "Save the Peaks" February 18th, 2012




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9La_4svq8JI&ob=av2n
  Amie Lynn Shaffer
09/5/72-3/25/12

I first met Amie around the year of 2000. Little did I know, the woman that would walk into the gym that day would forever change my life:


 Amie and I bonded easily. She was easy to like, easy to talk to. She had such a beautiful, radiant smile, it was infectious.
 She and I talked about life.. Her divorce, her struggles being a single mom and her cancer.
We talked about a race she was participating in, I told her I would love to join her. She had formed a team and I being her friend,  was honored to participate in it.
 I had told her in one of our conversations how my mom had past away from cancer, she said "run in honor of your mom" I did that. I ran for them both.
 The name of that race was the Susan G Komen race. I remember I had a sore foot, I was in pain and limping. It was downpouring on race day. I could have quit, I could have complained. Did I, no way, for I told myself, what is a little rain, a sore foot, compared to the struggles of being sick from chemo and radiation.
 At the finish line I hugged Amie and we celebrated the finish together.. She was my hero. So strong, positve and determined to fight the fight.

Amie met the love of her life. His name is Eric. Amie told me she and Eric married on a cruise ship. Amie was happy. she found a wonderful man that provided love and stability. They had a beautiful family together.  Eric is such a good man and father. I am so happy Amie was able to have found true love and happiness with him. I am sure she made his life whole as well.

Time went on and even though Amie and I didn't hang out, I knew she and I had a connection. I knew if I wanted to confide in Amie I could.
 I ran into her one day and she proceeded to tell me " the cancer is back." She had to go through treatments again. She lost her beautiful hair, and for those of you that knew Amie.. She had some hair!! She would joke around at times about her hair. The two of us liked our hair FULL, with lots of hairspray..lots! I am a hairdresser, so one time, I went to the beauty supply store and bought a few cans of hairspray to give to her as a gift. We both laughed and said.."this will last about one week." When Amie's hair fell out from the chemo, she still looked beautiful. I actually think it focused more on her beautiful face and eyes. And, once again, she found ways to joke around to ease any worries we may have had.

Amie continued to battle her cancer. At times she received great Dr's reports and this helped ease her worries. If she was worried, she didn't let on, at least not to me. There were times she would let down her guard and go there. She would talk about the cancer, and the fear. The fear of leaving her young children without a mother.

The years continued on and the battle did as well. The cancer kept spreading, Amie kept fighting. It spread throughout and she tried numerous treatments. All along Amie stayed positive.
 There were times I would whine or complain to her  about this ache or pain and then I'd tell Amie, how dare I. She would say " Chris, it is ok, you can talk to me, you are only human." This made me love and respect her even more.

Due to Amie fighting her cancer battle, Eric's family decided to start a yearly fundraiser event at their ski resort. They joined up with Beth and Jacquelyn Baldwin. The first event at Lab mountain was a hit. It is called "Save the peaks." All proceeds go to the Carol M. Baldwin Breast cancer fund.

 This February18th was the 3rd year and largest one yet. Amie was able to attend, she was tired and weak, but Eric brought a chair for her to rest in. All of her friends and family were there to support her. She was there smiling and laughing. I remember I went over to her and at one point asked her if she was tired. She  told me she was ok.  Even if she was tired, she always stayed positive. I was so proud of her, her courage, her strength. I witnessed so much love that day. As I watched her from afar that day, as much as I didn't want to think it, I knew in my heart, this would be the last time she would be attending this event. Amie was growing weaker, the cancer was such an invasion to her body, she was losing her battle. I was losing a friend. I secretly wept inside and on the outside tried to stay strong.

 I could only imagine what her beautiful husband, children, sister, family were going through. Knowing how hard losing my mom was, I knew they had a long road ahead of them. I could only imagine the tears that were going to be shed, the heartache that would take place...  


                             "I COULD ONLY IMAGINE"                


Amie lost her battle with breast cancer on March 25th, 2012. She was 39 years old. She leaves behind a husband (Eric), daughters (Sydnie, and Karley) and son (Alex). 
She also leaves behind a sister (Carrie) brother (Rick) and Mother (Betty)
You are with your  Dad now, Amie......
                  May you rest in peace, my friend.




AMIE WAS A WIFE, MOTHER, SISTER, DAUGHTER, AND  AUNT. AMIE WAS MY FRIEND. I WILL LOVE YOU ALWAYS, AMIE. YOU HAVE LEFT BEHIND A LEGACY. YOU FOUGHT THE GOOD FIGHT. BUT now YOU CAN REST...THE FIGHT IS OVER. NO MORE HURT, PAIN AND FEAR.




.                

2 comments:

  1. Rest in peace, dear Amie. And may you find peace too, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration she was, and this is a beautiful tribute to her. My heart and prayers go out to you and her family.

    ReplyDelete